Sunday, January 5, 2014

Rule #29

GOOD GRAMMAR IS SEXY!


This is no way that I could possibly stress this any more. Being the grammar nazi that I am, good grammar is a MUST! If you cannot differentiate between "your" and "you're", I'm sorry, but we are parting ways.

Freshman year of high school, I was paired with a group of skater boys for a project. Of course, I ended up doing all the work. Well, that is, until I put my foot down and began delegating tasks. 

One of the boys, who I could tell had developed a slight crush on me, was writing on our poster regarding various plants. Abruptly, he stopped writing and looked up at me in complete confusion. I asked him what he needed help with. Can you guessed what he was confused about? He was confused about how to spell a word. Now, this was not some Latin word that we often see in studies of science. This was a word that is taught during elementary school. 

"Function". That was the word. He had no clue how to spell function. My jaw dropped open and I just stared at him. Luckily, our teacher stepped in and explained how to spell function. Now, I realize that every now and again, we forget how to spell words, or we simply do not know. However, the book was laying open right in front of him with the heading, written in big bold letters, spelling "Function". 

After class, he came up to me and asked if I would go out on a date with him. Now, this was when I was going through my ice princess phase and so I was not the nicest. I looked at him with an emotionless face and said, "I don't date guys who can't spell function." And I turned and walked away. 

Grammar is so ridiculously important! I cannot stress this enough! Not only will it help you to succeed, but it is also quite an attractive trait to possess. 

1 comment: